Pages

iMHO

6.2.13


On my first birthday as his wife, Piwat gave me an invisible birthday present in advance. He told me that he would buy me the best iPhone, yet. iPhone 5, at this moment. I appreciate his love. But, I am a very indecisive person and I couldn't figure out if it's worth to change my iPhone now. Anyway, you know the formality of Apple products and New Year. We decided to put my name on the waiting list. At least we bought time for me to make a decision.

Well, honestly, I've been subtly (note: my subtle is never subtle) telling Piwat that I want an new iPhone. But, sometimes, my mouth let out words that haven't got approval from my brain. So, I came up with a made-up story that I benefit from our culture difference. I told Piwat that in Indonesia, the custom is for a husband to give a present for his newly wedded wife. The present represents his hope for their marriage. He bought it. So, I went further. I told him that the key to a successful marriage is communication. He finally realized where I was going to. I told you, I was subtle. 
Piwat thought I wanted the iPhone enough to come up with that non-sense. 



I have to admit, I was caught in the spell of iPhone 5. It is another great, fantastic, excellent, marvelous, brilliant, magnificent, superb, gorgeous, irresistible (and so.on.) iPhone and I  cannot deny that I want one. That phone, is like the forbidden fruit of Eden; the minute I touched it, the temptation roared sending shivers down to my spine and to Piwat's credit card. 
Right, maybe I was a bit over dramatic but I seriously think Apple did a good job on shaving up the bulkiness; the thing looked sharp and sleek -almost 1 ounce lighter than my current 3Gs.
Plus some other things (like the retina display) that make my oldie-but-goodie iPhone look dull. 

So, what's with the hesitant?
Firstly, there's a sentiment between my current slash my first iPhone and me. Piwat bought it for me 2 years ago, so it's not just a phone, it's a valuable gift.  But, I'm a careless person and I'm not good at taking care of my belongings. But amongst many things I've lost, this phone made the odd to come back to me, twice. This phone is somehow like Piwat to me, many times I let him down but he never gave up on me. Ehm.
Secondly is the pride of holding my principle. I've been preaching myself about consumerism and made myself promise that I wouldn't let myself get drown in the stream. I'm also worried about the disposable culture that has been going on in our society. So, I try to always ask myself if I really need something. I mean, just because the new generation iPhone looks good, it doesn't mean my current one sucks. It was the best at that time and new won't last forever. It's down to the question if it is necessary to change the phone aside from the new features that we're forced to admire.

I do like the new iPhone 5 and I can't lie that I want it. But I don't need it, yet. So, on my first birthday as his wife, Piwat gave me nothing but a wisdom to remind myself to be a wiser person as I get older. Happy 31st birthday to me. 


No comments :

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |